Friday, August 10, 2012

Thank you.

If there were two individuals whose works I consumed and brought me from a porous state to one which is merely superficial, that would be the works of David Rakoff and Christopher Hitchens. Last night David Rakoff passed, and eight months ago Christopher Hitchens before him. There was a point in my life in high school when I had little interest in developing any sort of real education, and any more culture outside of being little more than folly. Then I listened to NPR, listening to segments by David Sakoff which sent me down a cultural rabbit hole of reading his works and eventually other essayists including Christopher Hitchens, among others. Their passion for their work helped me develop my own passions, and later my own opinions which I am only beginning to develop. After Hitchens death I went and reread all that I could of Hitchens work, and with Rakoff's I find myself doing the same. Their wisdom did know bounds, it was finite. But that would be like calling the sea finite, their wisdom has taught me so much that and for that I am eternally grateful.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment